It is the treatment of sexual dysfunction, such as non-consummation, premature ejaculation, erectile dysfunction, low libido, unwanted sexual fetishes, sexual addiction, painful sex, or a lack of sexual confidence, assisting people who are recovering from sexual assault, problems commonly caused by stress, tiredness, and other environmental and relationship factors. Sex therapists assist those experiencing problems in overcoming them, in doing so possibly regaining an active sex life.
Types of Sexual Dysfunctions
Male Sexual Dysfunction
- Ø Erectile failure (EF) refers to the inability of the male to achieve or maintain an erection to such an extent that he is unable to engage in satisfactory intercourse.
- Ø Retarded ejaculation (RE), also termed "ejaculatory incompetence" and "ejaculative impotence", is a disorder in which the male suffers from delayed intravaginal ejaculation or the inability to ejaculate intravaginally.
- Ø Premature ejaculation (PE) is topographically the opposite of RE: The patient suffering from PE ejaculates prior to or soon after inserting his penis into his partner's vagina. There are no objective criteria for what constitutes premature ejaculation.
- Ø Dyspareunia, or painful intercourse. ,This disorder is usually caused by organic factors.
Female Sexual Dysfunction
- ü Orgasmic dysfunction consists of the inhibition of the orgasm phase of the female sexual response. It is subdivided into primary orgasmic dysfunction, which exists when the patient has never experienced an orgasm in any way, and secondary orgasmic dysfunction, a disorder in which the client has had an orgasm at least once through some form of sexual stimulation but currently experiences coital orgasms rarely or not at all.
- ü Dyspareunia - painful intercourse in the female can range from post coital vaginal irritation to severe pain during penile thrusting. It is far more common in the female than in the male, and female dyspareunia is more likely to involve psychological factors than is male dyspareunia.
- ü Vaginismus- the female dysfunction is a condition in which the vaginal introitus closes tightly when intercourse is attempted, thus preventing penetration. It is caused by an involuntary spastic contraction of the sphincter vaginae and the levator ani, the muscles surrounding the vagina.
Stages in Sex Therapy
- Ø Education and counseling
- Ø Structured sexual task
- Ø Review of treatment
- Ø Outcome of assessment and termination.
As an outcome of doing this exercise, many couples detect revolutionary ways to feel pleasure, beyond sexual relation. Other exercises treat particular problems such as women's unfitness to have sexual climax and men's erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Frequent complaints like these can generally be solved in two months to a year of sex therapy.
If you have any queries/problems,
We are here to help you solve your problems.
Feel free to contact us.
The “Psychologist” Psychological Counseling Centre’s at
For appointment please Call us or Mail Us
Vivekanantha Psychological Counseling Centre Health Line