Bruxomania:- compulsion for grinding teeth
Bruxism may cause minimal symptoms, and therefore people may not be aware of the condition. Several symptoms are commonly associated with bruxism, including hypersensitive teeth, aching jaw muscles, and headaches. Bruxism may cause tooth wear, and even damage or break teeth and dental restorations such as crowns and fillings.
Symptoms of Bruxism:
· Excessive tooth wear, particularly attrition, which flattens the occlusal surface, but also possibly other types of tooth wear such as abfraction, where notches form around the neck of the teeth at the gumline.
· Tooth fractures, and repeated failure of dental restorations.
· Hypersensitive teeth, caused by wearing away of the thickness of insulating layers of dentin and enamel around the dental pulp.
· Inflammation of the periodontal ligament of teeth, which may make them sore to bite on, and possibly also a degree of loosening of the teeth.
· A grinding or tapping noise during sleep, sometimes detected by a partner or a parent. This noise can be surprisingly loud and unpleasant, and can wake a sleeping partner. Noises are rarely associated with awake bruxism.
· Other parafunctional activity which may occur together with bruxism cheek biting and/or lip biting.
· A burning sensation on the tongue possibly related to a coexistent "tongue thrusting" parafunctional activity.
· Indentations of the teeth in the tongue
· Hypertrophy of the muscles of mastication particularly the masseter muscle.
· Tenderness, pain or fatigue of the muscles of mastication, which may get worse during chewing or other jaw movement.
· Pain or tenderness of the temporomandibular joints,which may manifest as preauricular pain, or pain referred to the ear.
· Clicking of the temporomandibular joints.
· Headaches, particularly pain in the temples, caused by muscle pain associated with the temporalis muscle.
For more details & Consultation Feel free to contact us.
Vivekanantha Clinic Consultation Champers at
Pondicherry:- 9865212055 (Camp)
Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
For appointment please Call us or Mail Us
For appointment: SMS your Name -Age – Mobile Number - Problem in Single word - date and day - Place of appointment (Eg: Rajini - 99xxxxxxx0 – Bruxomania – 21st Oct, Sunday - Chennai ), You will receive Appointment details through SMS